Feathered Friends Hummingbird UL 20 review
Really enthusiastic about my winter sleeping bag Feathered Friends Snowbunting EX 0, I chose to replace both my old light weight summer slipping bag and 3 season sleeping bag by the Hummingbird UL 20 from Feathered Friends.
- Mummy shape (average width) with #5 YKK two-way zipper with locking sliders
- Temperature rating: -6.6°C (20°F)
- Shell fabric: Pertex® Endurance UL
- Lining fabric: Flite 15 denier ripstop nylon
- Fill down: 415g (L size) of 900+ goose down
- Passive collar provides an extra cushion of down around your neck to trap the heat
- Continuous baffles let you position the down where you need it
- 3D contoured hood opens wide for warm nights and cinches tight when the temps start to drop
- Generous draft tube prevents cold air from seeping past the zipper
- Overlapping dual-webbing zip guard guides the fabric away from the zipper and eliminates the need for a stiff or heavy fabric layer that can interfere with the draft tube seal
- Dimensions (shoulders/hips/feet) : narrow cut 142/132/97 cm (58/52/38″)
- Longueur (L size) : 198 cm (6’6″)
- Packed size: 18 x 30.5 cm (7″ x 12″), 9 liters
- Weight (L size): 750 g
- with storage and compression
- 900+ goose down
- Weight/warmth ratio
- Waterproof shell fabric
- Simple but efficient design
- Available only by ordering online from the manufacturer
- The compression bag which is not a compression bag
- The hood a bit too small
Feathered Friends sells this sleeping bag in four different sizes:
- The Hummingbird is the narrow cup with shoulders/hips/feet sizes of 142/132/97 cm (58/52/38″) but is also the lightest with a total weight of 750g. This narrow cup with still fit moderately broad shouldered people but there will be less space to sleep with many layers.
- The Swallow UL 20 is the normal cut with shoulders/hips/feet sizes of 152/142/97 cm (61/56/38″), but a slightly heavier weight of 838g. If ultralight is not your concern but comfort is, then this versions is a safe bet.
- The Swift UL 20 is the large cut with shoulders/hips/feet sizes of 163/147/102 cm (64/58/40″) and a total weight of 905g. It is designed for wider people.
- Finally, the Egret UL 20 is the women cut with narrower shoulder and larger hips and shoulders/hips/feet sizes of 137/142/97 cm (54/56/38″) and a total weight of 799g.
Although I bought the regular size for my Feathered Friends winter sleeping bag, I went for the narrow cut Hummingbird for this one to save weight and it fits me well. I can still sleep with a base and middle layer and a ultralight down jacket.
I’ve used it from Spring to Autumn in very different places like the High Sierras in July or Japan mountains. In altitude and with low temperatures, I need my middle layer and ultralight down jacket to sleep warm, but I carry them anyway in these situations. So to my opinion it has a very good warmth/weight ratio and perfectly match my lightweight objective. But if you’re looking for a 3 seasons sleeping bag and warmth is more your concern than weight you want want to go for a warmer sleeping bag.
As for the Snowbunting EX 0, the compression bag is useless. I bought a Sea To Summit 10L compression bag, which works just great.
If you are looking for another more detailed review you can check Outdoor gear lab very detailed review which influenced my choice too.